City Fence Restrictions and Area Fencing
It is wise to check with local authorities to see if there are any quirks in your City's codes regarding Restrictions on fence heights.
- The highest point of a gateway is generally 2.5 metres (8.2 feet).
- No building permit is required to instal a fence but a permit can be required for deck installations.
- You may be able to deviate from your City's codes but you must be able to apply for a development permit to do so.
- There is no legal precedent for cost sharing with your neighbor on a common fence line. A rule of thumb is that if you are not cost sharing place the fence within your property. If you are cost sharing, position it on the property line.
- If you are in a Planned Lot Residential Area check with your land developer for area restrictions on your fence style.